SUNY Empire State College provides motivated adult learners with access to innovative, flexible and quality academic programs that empower people and strengthen communities. We build on the diversity of our students, their work and life experiences and their individual personal and professional goals as the cornerstone for each academic program.
SUNY Empire State College will be the leading public college for students across New York State and around the world seeking affordable and flexible, quality degrees. We will be distinguished by our outstanding faculty and staff, our record of student success, our innovative programs and personalized learning opportunities, our rich continuum of student support services, our social and economic impact, and our commitment to a diverse and engaged academic community.
As a community of learners at a public institution, SUNY Empire is committed to:
- Critical reflective inquiry that encourages active engagement in the local and global community
- Promoting social justice and a sustainable world through responsiveness to human and social circumstances
- Ensuring a healthy democracy that recognizes and respects diversity in all its forms
- Supporting the individual goals of our students in a collaborative mentoring environment
- Acknowledging multiple avenues of learning and prior college-level learning through rigorous evaluation
- Developing, implementing and assessing new approaches to learning that recognize and adapt to the diverse needs of our learners
- Fostering respectful, creative and vibrant learning environments for students, faculty and staff
- Supporting the scholarly, creative and professional goals of the college community
- Serving students and the public with a high level of courtesy and effectiveness, advocating at the regional, state and national levels for the needs of our students and of higher education
- Expanding access to affordable, high-quality educational opportunities through partnerships with employers, unions, government agencies, the armed forces, community organizations and other educational institutions